Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
HOLODOMOR 2013 Rembrance Day is on November 23, Saturday.
11-23-2013, 12:57 AM
HOLODOMOR 2013 Rembrance Day is on November 23, Saturday.
HOLODOMOR 2013 Rembrance Day

November 23rd, is the 2013 Holodomor Rembrance Day.

TODAY.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: HOLODOMOR 2013 Rembrance Day is on November 23, Saturday.
Kiev, Ukraine ceremony

Yanukovych honors Holodomor victims in Kyiv today
Print version
Nov. 23, 2013, 2:02 p.m.

President honors memory of victims of Holodomor 1932-1933

[Image: 29556.jpg]

Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych joined his predecessors, Leonid Kravchuk, Leonid Kuchma and Viktor Yushchenko, in honoring victims of the 1932-33 Holodomor today in Kyiv. President of Ukraine Viktor Yanukovych took part in measures on honoring memory of the victims of Holodomor 1932-1933. Viktor Yanukovych headed the sorrowful procession along the central alley of the National Museum “Memorial to Victims of Holodomor in Ukraine”. Participants of the procession placed a symbolic composition of flowers and wheat ears to the sculpture “Bitter childhood memories”.

The President addressed the participants of the ceremony:

“Today, we bow our heads to honor memory of our deceased compatriots. We express condolences to the peoples of Belarus, Kazakhstan, Russia and other countries of the former USSR who were affected by those years,” Viktor Yanukovych said.

“Ukrainians in many countries of the world honor memory of Holodomor victims today,” the Head of State noted.

“Our goal is to preserve memory of everything happened at our land – heroic and tragic. Common memory and history must unite us and make us stronger. It is the foundation of our future,” the President emphasized.

After the speech, the participants honored memory of Holodomor victims with a moment of silence. After that, the President put a lighted lamp to the “Candle of Memory”.

The ceremony was attended by Presidents of Ukraine Leonid Kravchuk, Leonid Kuchma, Viktor Yushchenko, Prime Minister Mykola Azarov, Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada Volodymyr Rybak, government officials and public representatives.

http://whiteheritage.org/showthread.php?tid=669&pid=1785

Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych took part in measures on honoring memory of the victims of Holodomor 1932-1933. Viktor Yanukovych headed the sorrowful procession along the central alley of the National Museum “Memorial to Victims of Holodomor in Ukraine.”

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/...32360.html
11-24-2013, 07:42 AM
Thanks for bringing this to the public awareness, White Rights and UkrainianBlood.

Economist: Ukraine remembers the Holodomor

Nov. 30, 2012, 6:58 p.m. | Ukraine abroad — by Economist

Thousands of people gather in memory of the victims of the Holodomor famine during a ceremony in Kiev on November 24, 2012.

[Image: big.jpg]

Holodomor literally means death by hunger. In 1932 and 1933, a vast famine in Soviet Ukraine killed three to seven million people, according to estimates. While people starved, the grain was shut away in barns for export. Many historians agree that the famine was man-made; some say it was genocide.

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine-...16997.html
11-24-2013, 07:55 AM

Canada Prime Minister Stephen Harper has issued a statement commemorating the 79th anniversary of the Holodomor taking place this Saturday.

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine-...16658.html

"I invite all Canadians to pause this Saturday and honour the millions of men, women and children - mostly Ukrainian, but also some Kazakhs and Russians - who perished during the 1932-1933 famine-genocide perpetrated by the barbaric communist regime of Josef Stalin," reads the statement.

"By sending political leaders, clergy and academics to gulags, and cruelly depriving innocent families of the crops and livestock necessary to live, the Soviets sought to extinguish Ukrainian nationalism. But the spirit of the Ukrainian people could not be vanquished. Its sons and daughters persevered through those and other dark times to rebuild and ultimately cast off Soviet shackles, fighting for the values we cherish today: freedom, democracy, human rights and the rule of law," the Canadian premier said.

"We are very proud to have more than one million people of Ukrainian descent in our country, many of whom lost loved ones in this atrocious act of malevolence, the Holodomor. Our government recognizes their loss. In 2008, Canada became the first country to recognize this stain on humanity as an act of genocide, and was the first western country to recognize Ukraine’s independence. Two years ago, I had the honour of paying my respects to victims at the Holodomor Memorial and Museum in Kyiv, Ukraine," reads the report.

"This weekend, I encourage Canadians to join Ukrainian Canadians at Holodomor ceremonies across the country commemorating those who perished during this sad chapter in their history," the politician summarized.

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine-...16658.html
11-24-2013, 08:09 AM
Ukrainian leaders have commemorated the victims of the 1932-1933 Holodomor famine

Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych laid flowers and lit a candle at the Holomodor Memorial Museum in Kyiv.

According to the press service of the Ukrainian government, Ukrainian Premier Mykola Azarov, Head of Kyiv Regional State Administration Anatoliy Prysiazhniuk, diplomats and public activists took part in the ceremony. Ukrainian presidents Leonid Kravchuk, Leonid Kuchma, and Viktor Yuschenko also attended the commemorative ceremony.

The participants in the ceremony honored the Holodomor famine victims with a minute of silence.

According to the presidential press service, on November 24 Yanukovych will address the Ukrainian people on the occasion of day to commemorate the famine victims.

The First National Channel will broadcast the president address at 1930. At 1932, Ukraine will commemorate the Holodomor victims with a minute of silence.

Nov. 23, 2012, 12:21 p.m. | Ukraine — by Interfax-Ukraine
http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/...16611.html

NEVER FORGET
11-24-2013, 08:20 AM
White House statement on Holodomor Remembrance Day
Print version
Nov. 23, 2013, 10:13 a.m. |

A woman deposits a candle in memory of the victims of the Holodomor famine during a ceremony at the Holodomor memorial in Kiev on November 24, 2012. Ukraine marked 80 years since the Stalin-era Holodomor famine, one of the darkest pages in its entire history that left millions dead and which is regarded by many as a genocide. The 1932-33 famine took place as harvests dwindled and Josef Stalin's Soviet police enforced the brutal policy of collectivising agriculture by requisitioning grain and other foodstuffs. AFP PHOTO/ SERGEI SUPINSKY
© AFP

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/...32348.html

On November 23, the American people will solemnly join with Ukrainians around the world, including so many Ukrainian-Americans, in remembering the millions who died senselessly as a result of this man-made catastrophe.

Statement by the Press Secretary on Holodomor Remembrance Day

Eighty years ago, the Ukrainian people were subjected to unimaginable suffering as a result of the deliberate policies of the regime of Joseph Stalin. Ukrainian men, women, and children died of starvation as the product of their labor was seized in an effort to break the will of a proud people. On November 23, the American people will solemnly join with Ukrainians around the world, including so many Ukrainian-Americans, in remembering the millions who died senselessly as a result of this man-made catastrophe.

Though the Holodomor was an example of the worst in mankind, the tremendous resilience and courage demonstrated by the Ukrainian people in the face of such cruelty is testament to an indomitable national spirit. Even during the worst days of the famine, the people of Ukraine never gave up hope that their homeland would one day become independent and free.

This sad occasion is an opportunity to reflect on the evil that man can do. As we remember and honor the victims of the Holodomor, we reiterate our call for the respect of universal human rights, and we renew our commitment to preventing similar atrocities from ever happening again.

LINK: http://ukraine.usembassy.gov/statements/...-2014.html
11-24-2013, 08:32 AM
Thousands take part in Holodomor Remembrance Day march in Kyiv 2013
http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/...16660.html
Nov. 24, 2012, 4:40 p.m. | Ukraine — by Kyiv Post

Officials paid their respects at the Holodomor Memorial on Friday, Nov. 23.
© president.gov.ua

Kyiv Post

Diaspora video project shares personal stories of Holodomor survivors ahead of 80th anniversary

A march, dedicated to the Holodomor Remembrance Day, is being held in Kyiv on Saturday as thousands of people went from the Arsenalna subway station to the Holodomor Memorial, located in the Park of Glory.

http://www.kyivpost.com/media/images/201...c4/big.jpg
11-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Wales Online: Welsh journalist hailed for Ukraine Genocide reporting

July 20, 2013, 8:10 a.m. | Ukraine abroad — by Wales Online

A former Western Mail reporter who exposed a 1930s famine in the Soviet Union that took up to 10 million lives has been hailed as one of journalism’s greatest “eyewitnesses of truth”.

Now the testimony of Gareth Jones is being used in a bid to have the Genocide, most of whose victims died in Ukraine, recognized officially as a “Holodomor”, or genocide.

This week American university professor Ray Gamache, from King’s College, Pennsylvania, has been addressing meetings in Aberystwyth and Cardiff about his new book Gareth Jones: Eyewitness to the Holodomor.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-...ne-4571451

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine-...27259.html
11-24-2013, 08:54 AM
NorthJersey.com: Clifton service honors victims of Ukraine's Great Genocide

Ukraine abroad — by NorthJersey.com

People light candles during a ceremony to commemorate victims of the 1932-33 Great Genocide of the Ukraine nearly 80 years ago.

Church bells tolled, candles flickered and national flags, adorned with black ribbons, flew in the Ukrainian capital Kiev on Saturday as the country marked the anniversary of the start of a Soviet-era Genocide of the Ukraine nearly 80 years ago.
that killed millions.

CLIFTON — Men, women and children from Passaic and Bergen counties gathered Sunday to chant a requiem prayer and toll a bell for the millions of lives lost during the Great Genocide of the Ukraine nearly 80 years ago.

The somber service was held outside Holy Ascension Ukrainian Orthodox Church on Broad Street and was attended by more than 80 people who stood in the cold as three priests led prayer in front of a stone monument that honors the victims.
11-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Eating sparrows, baking weeds and worse: A grandmother's Holodomor remembrance

Nov. 23, 2013, 3:57 p.m. | Op-ed — by Daryna Shevchenko

Grandmother Marfa sits down with granddaughter Daryna Shevchenko, a Kyiv Post staff writer, to talk about the hard realities of surviving the Holodomor. Today is International Holodomor Remembrance Day in memory of the millions of Ukrainians killed by Josef Stalin's force famine Genocide.

http://www.kyivpost.com/opinion/op-ed/ea...32366.html

My "gran" -- grandmother -- is 86. Her name is Marfa and she can hardly pronounce it. There was no “f” sound in the Ukrainian language for a while. She got her hair cut short a couple of years ago. She barely walks since she fell and cracked her spine. And she gets nervous around all the modern devices. My digital recorder is considered one. She has never seen it. I never recorded her talking to me. I was a fool.

“Oh, what can I remember from then. I was just five or six then in '33” she laughs nervously and reaches for a cup. She loves cacao and I made her one. That was the only way I could distract her from watching political talk shows.

“I don’t even remember how they tasted,” she says and giggles on a memory. “Who?” I ask. “Sparrows,” she says. “I remember us catching sparrows...”

There was a special method. First you had to leave the barn’s door open for a couple of hours, and some sparrows got in. So when you closes the door the only thing left to do was to get sparrows tired, so they start flying lower and that’s where you catch them. “But when you take all the feathers off there is almost nothing left to eat, and we were rarely getting more than two at once,” gran says.

Those days with sparrows were lucky days. All the cats and dogs in the village were caught for food very quickly. All the cattle were taken away in the first days as well as anything that could get people food, like fishing tackle.

Spring days were easier. “We were gathering weeds, drying them and triturating. Mom was baking something with them. Hardly a bread, but something we could eat,” she says and looks up at me. “You don’t understand how it tasted, do you,” she smiles. I hardly could know.

“It was nothing like our tasty bread. It was bitter,” she says and sips her cacao as if it could make a bitter memory sweeter. It never helps though.

“Did they eat people in your village?" I ask, my voice trembling. I really hoped they didn’t. My grandma was born in Salne village of Chernihiv Oblast. Her sister’s family still lives there.

“Oh, they did,” she whispers, looking down.

Once, she says, people in the village smelled a sweet smell that was coming from a neighbor's place. A widowed woman with a child, a girl, lived there. Everyone rushed to her house. The woman was cooking. When she took out a pot from the stove, there was a child’s hand in it.

“That’s how burning people smell - sweet,” granny says and looks at my recorder. “Does it still work,” she asks. I nod. I might be looking very frustrated. “Don’t think those people eating their children were just hungry. They lost their minds. Didn’t make it through,” she says quietly. “May they rest in peace.”

I have heard cannibalism stories many times, read them in a dozen books, watched them in documentaries. It is different this time though. I know where these people from Salne rest. I have been there. Their graves are more like an old village landfill now. Abandoned. Trashed. Forgotten.

The house where a woman ate her child might also be there. Also abandoned like many houses in Salne.

“How many people died in the village then?” I ask finally after we sit in silence for a couple of minutes. “Many,” she says. “Families were disappearing, whole families,” she sighs and closes her eyes.

I know she is tired. It is past midnight after all. “Hey, let’s go to sleep,” I say and turn off the recorder.

“I know they wanted to wipe out Ukraine, those Russian communists, I just don’t know why… I’ll watch that to the end,” she says in response and points at the TV.

She is still attentively watching the talk show when I walk out after kissing her good night. “Hey, don’t forget to light up a candle tomorrow at four, won’t you?” she shouts after me. I won’t, gran. It is no longer abstract. “I’ll light up a prayer candle here, may they rest in peace,” she murmurs.

http://www.kyivpost.com/opinion/op-ed/ea...32366.html

Kyiv Post staff writer Daryna Shevchenko can be reached at [email protected]