Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Ares: Origin of Word Aryan
11-06-2013, 10:39 AM

Ares, "bane of all mankind, crusted with blood," was the son of Zeus and Hera , the king and queen of heaven. He was born in Thrace, a rude and barbarous ...

Ares Aryan

http://www.whiteheritage.org/printthread.php?tid=163

The Names of Ares

The origin of the name is uncertain. Possibly, along with Mars, it is connected with the Sanskrit mar and the Vedic maruts, meaning "storm divinities", or the Greek root meaning "to carry away". The Spartans called him Ares Enyalios (the warlike), while in Olympia he was known as Ares Hippios, god of horses.

Associated Deities and Mortals

Ares, "bane of all mankind, crusted with blood," was the son of Zeus and Hera , the king and queen of heaven. He was born in Thrace, a rude and barbarous land to the north of Greece. Except for Aphrodite, goddess of love and beauty and one of his many lovers, and also with the exception of his entourage of malevolent deities, he was hated by the Olympian gods, even by his own parents. He went into battle in heavy armor, either on foot or driving a chariot, accompanied by his sons Phobos and Deimos (Fear and Panic). Also in his host were his bloodthirsty sister Enyo, goddess of war, his sister Eris, goddess of strife, and the Keres, macabre goddesses of death who wandered the battlefield in search of bodies to carry off to Hades, god of the dead. Deimos and Phobos, being personifications of the emotions fear and panic, and have no myth of their own. Theseus is said to have sacrificed to Phobos before joining battle with the Amazons. When Troy was being taken, Enyo, revelling in the drunkenness of unmixed blood, danced all night throughout the city.

Besides Phobos and Deimos, whose mother was Aphrodite, the tales of the Greeks speak of other children of Ares. The nymph Harmonia was also born to Aphrodite as a result of her adulterous union with Ares. This daughter of the war god later became by him the mother of the Amazons, the race of warrior-women.

Worship

Little is known about the worship of Ares, who may have been a Thracian god before he was adopted into the Greek Pantheon. His cult was particularly strong among the barbarous and warlike peoples of Thrace and Scythia, but "the maniac, the dunce, the bane of all mankind" apparently did not receive much attention in the more civilized parts of the Greek world. Strangely though, this bitter enemy of Athena had a temple in Athens. Also, a spring was consecrated to him in Thebes.

It is said that before engaging the enemy, Greek armies would send a torch-bearer, who was thought to be under the protection of Ares and therefore inviolable, into the field between the two hosts. He would toss his torch in front of the enemy lines to disperse the spirits of their warrior ancestors.

The following hymn to Ares is recorded by Homer:
    Ares, exceeding in strength, chariot-rider, golden-helmed, doughty in heart, shield-bearer, Savior of cities, harnessed in bronze, strong of arm, unwearying, mighty with the spear, O defense of Olympus, father of warlike Victory, ally of Themis, stern governor of the rebellious, leader of righteous men, sceptred King of manliness, who whirl your fiery sphere among the planets in their sevenfold courses through the aether wherein your blazing steeds ever bear you above the third firmament of heaven; hear me, helper of men, giver of dauntless youth! Shed down a kindly ray from above upon my life, and strength of war, that I may be able to drive away bitter cowardice from my head and crush down the deceitful impulses of my soul. Restrain also the keen fury of my heart which provokes me to tread the ways of blood-curdling strife. Rather, O blessed one, give you me boldness to abide within the harmless laws of peace, avoiding strife and hatred and the violent fiends of death.

The arch-enemy of Ares, the wanton destroyer, was Athena, the vigilant protector, the cool and intelligent warrior goddess. Strategy was her strength, rather than brute force and unrestrained aggression, and she could easily outwit the raging Ares. As opposed to the war god, the battle-maddened brute who delighted in bloodshed, Athena, in the manner of an illustrious general, considered war to be a regrettably necessary evil, to be won as quickly and as bloodlessly as possible through skill and maneuver.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2013, 10:41 AM
RE: Ares: Origin of Word Aryan
Aryan is derived from the Greek "Ares"

Sanskrit grammarian Panini even said that Sanskrit derived from the Greeks.

Ares - 750 BC (Greece - Warrior God) physcial evidence.
Arya - 130 BC (Hindu - Warrior Gods) physcial evidence.

Greek Name Transliteration Latin Spelling
http://www.whiteheritage.org/showthread.php?mode=threaded&tid=429&pid=1270
Roman Name
ArhV ArĂªs Ares Mars
    ARES was the great Olympian god of war, battlelust, civil order and manly courage. In Greek art he was depicted as either a mature, bearded warrior dressed in battle arms, or a nude beardless youth with helm and spear. Because of his lack of distinctive attributes he is often difficult to identify in classical art.

http://www.whiteheritage.org/showthread.php?mode=threaded&tid=429&pid=1270

Ares (Arya) the Hellenic god of war

The Chariot of Ares

CHARIOT OF ARES Ares drove a golden-reined chariot drawn by four horses. "Ares chariot-borne to murderous war fares forth, and round his onrush quakes the ground."

Ares rode into battle on the side of the Trojans with his horses, Flame and Terror, pulling his war chariot.
    Ares in The Iliad (listed by book and line).
    05.355 ...Iris leads the wounded Aphrodite to Ares and his chariot
    05.363 ...Ares gives the wounded Aphrodite his chariot.

Stewart, Michael. "Ares", Greek Mythology: From the Iliad to the Fall of the Last Tyrant. http://messagenet.com/myths/bios/aries.html (November 14, 2005)

This predates the Rig Vedas, and matches the verses of the Rig Vedas.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply